From Our Partners
Our partners have produced many resources that CMV drivers and safety managers will find useful. We’ve included some of our favorites below.
Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Driving Safety
When it comes to commercial trucking, education can play a significant role in the safety and well-being of commercial drivers and the roads they share with the public. The CMV Driving Safety site, developed with support from the National Surface Transportation Safety Center for Excellence (NSTSCE) and researchers across the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI), provides industry professionals – risk managers, safety directors, dispatchers and their insurance agents – the information they need to develop strategies for a safer, more productive workforce. Site visitors are encouraged to apply this information on emerging areas of safety and loss prevention in their business operations.
Tips for Sharing the Road with CMVs
Did you know that car drivers are the primary cause of over three-quarters of crashes and near-crashes involving heavy vehicles? The CMV Road Sharing website provides materials and scenarios that may be used to educate all drivers, young and old, on the proper way to share the road in their everyday driving. The site uses videos to provide examples of improper road sharing behaviors and explanations of what occurred and what the driver did wrong. Where possible, examples of proper road sharing behavior, along with some useful tips or “rules of thumb” for sharing the road with large trucks are provided.
Travelers provides many useful driver and fleet safety resources. We encourage you to bookmark the Traveler’s page and to check back often as resources are updated frequently and include season-specific tips for drivers. Examples of the driver and fleet safety resources provided by Travelers include the following:
- Keeping Drivers Safe in Dangerous Conditions: These precautions can help drivers avoid losing control at the wheel.
- 4 Summer Driving Hazards to Be Aware Of: Warm weather brings summer driving hazards. Learn how your drivers can handle these hazards and stay safe when driving in the summer.
- Creating a Formal Seat Belt Policy: Help your drivers stay safer in case of an accident. Build a fleet seat belt policy with these tips.
- Encouraging Driving Health and Wellness for Businesses: Driver fatigue can increase the likelihood of accidents. Focus on your drivers’ health and wellness with these tips.
As a CMV driver, you encounter many types of drivers. Travelers also provides tips that are useful for all drivers – not just CMV drivers. Share these resources with your family and friends to help them stay safe while sharing the road.
- Distracted driving: Learn about the types of distracted driving and the dangers or multitasking while driving.
- Safe Driving: Preparing yourself for on the road situations can keep you safe while driving and prevent accidents.
- Teen Driving: Teen driving safety can help keep everyone on the road safe. Prepare your young drivers with facts, stats, and tips for new drivers.