Protect Your Online Privacy
As a CMV driver, your health, your privacy, and your career go hand in hand. Before you provide any health or financial information, make sure that your online privacy is protected.
Simple Tips to Protect Your Privacy
The most effective way to protect your privacy is to know who you are dealing with when providing any personal information over the Internet.
OnGuard Online is a government website that provides the best government and industry practices for maintaining your safety online. To ensure your personal privacy, OnGuard Online recommends that you:
- Know who’s on the other end. Make sure that you know who you are dealing with and that the website is secure.
- Consider the source. Some sources of health information are better than others. A general rule of thumb is that government websites (sites that end in .gov) and university or medical school websites (.edu) are good sources.
- Only buy prescription drugs from licensed, U.S. pharmacies. Pharmacies should require a prescription, have a licensed pharmacist to answer questions, and provide a physical business address and phone number.
- Talk with your doctor or health professional before buying health related products online. Many sites that may look reputable and provide information that seems promising may actually be harmful to your health or fraudulent. Before you buy a diet or weight loss product or drugs and vitamins, check with your doctor to discuss the effectiveness and risks associated with that product.
- Report online fraud. If you think you have been a victim of fraud, file a complaint with the FTC.
Learn more about cyberbullying with this Guide to Cyberbullying (via the National Council for Home Safety and Security). The online guide features helpful information for parents including an overview of cyberbullying on various social media sites, tips for telling if your child, and advice for reporting cyberbullying to schools.
Visit StaySafeOnline to get clear explanations of potential online security problems and your options to solve them. Here you’ll find help to protect yourself, your family, and devices. to keep a clean machine and mobile device, protect your personal information, and educating your kids. You can also find tip sheets about online shopping, smartphone safety, and more.